Re: Radiation Dose to Nuclear Submariners

What navy was the person in?  How old was the patient?  Since Peter is at a
VA Medical Center, I assume it is the US Navy and that the person was
beyond retirement age.  A general "non official" answer to your question is
that in the US Navy personnel exposures of those serving in the submarine
fleet are considerably less than the exposures received by medical
personnel working in a Radiology Department.   If you need a specific
answer on what the patient's total life time exposure is, I suggest you
contact the Navy's Dosimetry Center in Bethesda, MD.  They hold the archive
history of all persons monitored by the U.S. Navy.  Give me a call or via
personal e-mail and I will be happy to give you the name and phone number
of the officer in charge at the Dosimetry Center.

JERRY THOMAS

At 10:19 09/17/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Group,
>This is something outside my experience.  I had a patient/veteran
>ask about radiation dose from medical proceedures.  He was concerned
>because he said he had been told that he had received his total life-
>time dose and should never be on a sub again.
>
>Does anyone out there in Radsafe land know what kind of dose ranges are
>possible serving on a nuclear sub?
>
>To reply privately please initiate a new message to me at
>vernig.peter@forum.va.gov.  Using a reply or answer function will
>LIKELY broadcast the response to all of Radsafe.
>
>Regards,
>Peter G. Vernig, VA Medical Center, Denver.

CAPT Jerry A. Thomas,  MSC, USN
Chief Radiological Physics
Department of Radiology/Nuclear Medicine
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
4301 Jones Bridge Road
Bethesda, MD  20814-4799

mailto:thomas@bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil
Phone:   (301) 295-3246