Re: Newspaper article on Plutonium

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Brian Gaulke wrote:

> Based on the Canadian statistics you are wrong.  Between 1969 and 1997
> (estimated), excluding non-melanoma skin cancer and lung cancer there has been
> a 45% increase in cancer incidence for males and an 11% increase for females,
> age adjusted.

	--I am having delays in getting the recent data, but the best I
now have is for mortality in U.S. per 100,000 age adjusted for all cancers
but lung cancer:
	1949-51	  male-146, female-143
	1984-86   male-145, female-113

Note that this is for mortality rather than for incidence. I see many
problems with incidence based on changing diagnostic efficiency.
There is a lengthy chapter on "The Myth of a Cancer Epidemic" in Elizabeth
Whalen's book, "Toxic Terror--Prometheus Books, 1993.There is also a
booklet on this from American Council on Science and Health.