ABHP Degree Requirement - Background and Perspective

     Roger Fenner,

     On Sep. 15, You wrote:

     "We should all strive to be like IH's. Give them a certification,
     teach them how to spell a few words (like radiation safety) and they
     are an instant expert.  Just look at the trends taking place on
     college campuses in the "Environmental" safety offices around the
     country."

     I would like to know what you mean by this.....I am not CHP, and I am
     not CIH, but I have extensive experience in both and I am an OHST.  I
     agree with you that there are a lot of individuals in these
     disciplines that have the knowledge and skill base of the
     "Professionals" with degrees, but, there is no reason to bash those
     "Professionals".  I have researched both the CHP and CIH and I am
     currently working toward my BS in Nuclear Engineering.  I will
     probably never go up for either certification, but I know and
     understand the level of knowledge required for both.  It appears to me
     that you don't think very highly of the CIH.  You must not know any of
     them.  I am totally amazed at their level of knowledge, even in
     relation to Health Physics.  It is a little know fact that HP is also
     a subset of Industrial Hygiene.  CIHs are even tested on health
     physics in order to receive their certification.  They are required to
     know both ionizing and non-ionizing radiation protection and theory.

     I just wanted you to know my opinion...and it is only worth the time
     it takes to delete this message......

     Brian Fairchild, OHST
     Fluor Daniel Fernald