Re: DOT SURVEYS

I suggest that you read 49 CFR 173.443, "Contamination Control," carefully,
before proceeding.  Briefly, the limits are stated per cm2.  The 300 cm2
specification is the maximum area over which the activity can be averaged.
This implies a contiguous area. There is also a requirement for "sufficient
measurements" to assure a "representative assessment".

The opinions experssed are strictly mine.
Here's to a risk free world, and other fantasies.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@detroitedison.com

     Radsafers,

     As I understand the DOT and NRC regulations, the contamination limits
     for receipt surveys of packages are listed "per 300 cm sq".  What is
     the accepted interpretation of this limit:

                a.  Does it mean that the surveyor must survey at least 50
     cm sq over the 6 sides of a boxed package?

                b.  Does it mean that the surveyor can survey 100 cm sq and
     relate the results to 300 cm sq equivalent?

                c.  Does it mean that the surveyor can survey 300 cm sq on
     the side of the package most likely to indicate contamination?

                d.  None of the above

     Thanks in advance for your assistance.

     Jim Reese
     Health Physicist