Re: Newspaper article on Plutonium

Brian

I found another piece of information in the study you quoted to Bernie Cohen in rebuttal to his "no statistical increase in cancer rates" comment.

This statement, from your source of information, is in addition to the information I sent to you off line.

I have copied the following words from Paragraph #6 of the introduction section of the study results you have quoted.

"In 1995 the Standard Statistical Population used for this study was changed from the World Standard Population to the 1991 Canadian Population. The higher rates observed with this methodology reflect the fact that the Canadian population has a higher proportion of people in the older age groups in which cancer is more common."

Paragraph #6, in bold type, goes on to say "It should be noted that it is not appropriate to compare age standardized rates presented herein to those rates presented prior to 1995.

Based on this paragraph, I do not think you can say there is a 45% increase in the incidence of cancer from 1969 to present.

Again, I reiterate. HP's have to be careful about how they handle, interpret, and disseminate data relating to risk, which was the point I was trying to make in my poorly worded first response.

All disclaimers apply

George
George Hofferber Scientech, Inc. Web Page
ghofferber@scientech.com http://www.scientech.com
910 Clopper Road
Gaithersburg, MD 20878 Radiological Data Management System Web Page
Office - (301)258-2428 http://www.scientech.com/instr/infoworks.html
Pager - 888-760-4843