Re: Use of Portable Radiation Monitoring Equipment

     I do not believe you would want to rely totally on the area monitor
     for ensuring the beam is "off".  Most of the applications I have seen
     with large Co-60 irradiators require the operator to enter with a
     portable dose rate indicating meter as well as verify the beam is off
     by the area monitor.  This is usually a conditional requirement of
     either the license or radiation program manual/procedures.  NRC
     regulations rarely get that specific.

     I believe the reasoning is that eventhough there are numerous periodic
     quality checks required to ensure the area monitor is operational,
     defense-in-depth is desired.

     Just my thoughts.

     Jim Reese
     Defense Logistics Agency