re: Connecticut Yankee

The media is responding to a rebuttal testimony of James Joosten on behalf
of the Connecticut Dept. of Public Utility Control which was provided
9/15/97.   I have read this testimony in full.  There is one section of the
document (page 30) that has not been made a newsworthy item..

Direct Quote from Testimony....

"More information is needed on the magnitude and precise locations of the
radioactive contaminants before one can draw accurate conclusions about the
health impacts.  CYAPCo has lost control of hazardous materials.  However,
it is likely that most radioactive materials have been contained within the
plant or on Company property.  The contaminants should pose no large scale
or immediate risk to the health and safety of the public........"

I read this statement on a local talk radio show as my first response to
this testimony.  The other point is that all the events noted were detected
by the HP staff at CY..isn't that what they are supposed to do?  I would
also like to know who James Joosten is.  He is not listed in the HPS
directory. He states he is a nuclear energy expert and a Managing Partner
for Connect USA LLC(the web site noted ).  He has assisted in
decommissioning of reactors worldwide, has worked for the NRC and the IAEA
(this was in the testimony).  THe main thrust of the testimony is that CY
Staff did not control radioactivity the way other plants do and therefore
any additional costs due this total disregard for contamination control
should not be paid by the ratepayer.

Kenneth Price
Radiation Safety Officer
University of Connecticut Health Center