Transportation of RAM to be used in a remote location

On 22 Sep 97 at 7:14, LIPTONW@detroitedison.com wrote:

> Even if this weren't illegal, it's one of the dumbest things I've
> ever heard.

I have a choice of taking 10 mCi (37 mBq) I-125 sealed
sources, placing them in a shielded container, and carrying them by
walking about 1 mile to a remote facility;

OR

I can place the sources in a shielded container that has met the DOT
Specification 7A requirements and that I have documentation of such,
survey the package for removable contamination (sealed sources,
remember), survey the package for external exposure levels (I-125 in
a lead shield), document the survey, label the package with a
Radioactive White I, mark the package with the type of
package and the destination address, prepare a shippping paper, buy
(and maintain) a motor vehicle, hand carry the package to the parking
lot,  secure the package in a cargo area of the motor vehicle, drive
one mile through busy city streets, hand carry the package from the
parking lot to the destination, and survey the package upon arrival
at its destination for removable contamination.

Two questions, which is safer; and which is dumber?

Kent N. Lambert, M.S., CHP
lambert@auhs.edu
Allegheny University of the Health Sciences
Hahnemann Division
Radiation Physics and Safety, MS 106
Broad and Vine Streets
Philadelphia, PA  19102-1192

215-762-8768 (voice)
215-762-7683 (fax)

Disclaimer:  All opinions are well reasoned and insightful.
Needless to say, they are not (necessarily) the opinions of my employer.