Subject: Re[2]: DEGREE REQUIREMENT
Author:  Steven.Rima@doegjpo.com (Steven Rima) at Internet
Date:    9/22/97 12:25 PM

Les,

Here's a quick rebuttal to your RADSAFE post. (I am replying privately so as not
to "stir up" this subject again on RADSAFE, and I am NOT replying to flame you
in any way.)

If you would "always" choose a degreed HP with 10 years of experience over a
non-degreed one with 20 years of experience, you are being somewhat closed
minded and may be missing out on some good employees. I may be the exception to
the rule, but I am a non-degreed HP with just over 20 years of experience. I am
NRRPT registered and CHP (comprehensive) certified. I took both parts of the CHP
exam the same day, and passed both on my first attempt. The majority of degreed
CHPs can't make that claim!!! (I truly resent George Vargo's recent RADSAFE post
implying that non-degreed CHPs "slipped through a loophole" to become certified,
and that changing the requirement "closed the loophole." I would be glad to
retake either part of the exam, without any additional study, and I would be
willing to bet a paycheck that I would pass. How many degreed HPs would be
willing to do the same? Not too many, I'll bet.

I have taught college courses as a guest instructor; I am approved by two states
to teach radiation safety for continuing education credits for medical/dental
personnel; I have experience in DoD, DOE, and commercial nuclear power; and my
present employer certainly believes that I have the knowledge and experience to
manage their entire health physics and industrial hygiene programs.

I have always believed that it is WHAT you know, and not so much WHERE you
learned it that makes you knowledgeable. Unfortunately, I seem to be in the
minority in that belief.

Steven D. Rima, CHP
Manager, Health Physics and Industrial Hygiene
MACTEC-ERS, LLC
steven.rima@doegjpo.com