Definitions of positions

    Dear RADSAFERs,

    I have often encountered positions described as "radiological
    engineers" and "ALARA engineers" within various facilities.  I
    have my own ideas as to what these two phrases define, but I am
    finding that both the definitions of and the expectations upon
    such positions are unclear and inconsistent from facility to
    facility.  Therefore, I would like to ask a couple of
    straightforward questions regarding your understandings of these
    positions:

    -   What are the roles, responsibilities, and functions that are
    associated with these positions, and how do they differ from what
    is normally expected from a health physicist?

    -   What are the knowledges and skills that a person would be
    expected to have in order to fulfill such expectations?

    Please note that I do not want to reopen the question of
    professionalism and certification,  I am looking for technical
    needs and capabilities.  Also, while I do have my own ideas, I
    would prefer not to bias responders by offering them here.  If
    anybody knows of a reference that defines these positions, please
    pass it along.

    I suggest that responses be sent to me directly at the address
    below.  If there is sufficient interest, I would be happy to
    compile a summary and post it later.

    Thanks,

    Doug Minnema, CHP
    Defense Programs, DOE