X-ray Scanning For Theft Detection

Before this thread gets much further we should have the basics clear.

The wording of ICRP60  leads me to conclude that they are firmly against
anti-theft X-ray devices (as opposed to the possibility of anti-terrorist
security X-ray detection).  Where I'm getting this from is clause 112(a) of
ICRP 60:

*No practice involving exposures to radiation should be adopted unless it
produces sufficient benefit to the exposed individuals or to society to
offset the radiation detriment it causes*

The benefit referred to is a tangible benefit to an individual or society
as whole, not the benefit of increased profits to a private firm, and
definitely not the "benefit" to an employee of not being fired for theft.

If the proposal was for an anti-terrorism detection device  where some
minor radiation exposure was involved, there might be a case - but it's
hard to see how one could be made out for the anti-theft system (given the
ICRP's injunction).

Michael Williamson
(m.williamson@mailbox.uq.edu.au )

Radiation Protection Adviser

Occupational Health & Safety Unit
University of Queensland
Brisbane 4072
Australia

ph +61 7 3365 4504
fax +61 7 3365 1577

The opinions expressed in this communication are those of the writer:
unless explicitly stated they should not be taken as representing the
official policies or views of the University of Queensland.