RE: A radiation unit for the public

John:

Before I get started, let me tell you I am NOT shooting down your
concept, I am just trying to understand it better before I formulate an
opinion. I LIKE the idea of giving the public comparisons they can
understand when explaining radiation doses. I don't like comparing
apples and oranges (like comparing radiation to cigarette smoking), so
comparing radiation to radiation is a good idea. However, I have a
problem with trying to compare fixed and measurable (or at least
calculable) equivalent doses with ones that are estimated and variable.
When using BERT units of background radiation, I assume we would have to
make them sight-specific. Natural background here in Wyoming can be two-
to three-times that in Texas. What background levels does the Surgeon
General use? Also, our total background exposure includes both external
sources and those taken internally (hence the big factor thrown in for
radon). Even more variables have to be thrown in when you take radon
into account (type of housing, lifestyles, etc). Our BERT numbers cannot
be more than over-simplified estimates and averages. I am not
comfortable with using these types of numbers as national standards.

Comparisons also have to make sense to the public. In this I mean they
have to be able to touch, hear, taste, smell them. They can't do this
with background radiation. Also, it is difficult to make comparisons
between things, on one hand, which are natural and uncontrollable and
things, on the other hand, which are "man-made". A woman might be able
to accept the fact that she gets 100 mrem in 4 months from natural
radiation, because she can't do anything about it. She might choose
against getting the mammogram, however, even though it is "only equal to
FOUR MONTHS of natural radiation". Four months sounds like a lot of
time, hence it sounds like a lot of radiation (even though it's not).

Actually, for use as comparison units, I think the general public has a
better grasp on the risks and benefits of medical x-rays and nuclear
medicine than they do with their natural background. When explaining
occupational doses in training, I refer to medical x-rays because people
are more acceptable when they feel they have control. The public has no
control over natural radiation, and it is not universally accepted as
being beneficial. The EPA has been spilling it all over billboards that
natural radiation KILLS.

Just some thoughts....

Jim F. Herrold
Radiation Safety Officer