Re: Fixative for Air Sample Filters

Dear Steve

In Australian Mineral Sands Industry we are required to measure Activity
Median Aerodynamic Diameter of particles inside our dry separation plants
as a part of the Dose Assessment program.

Marple Personal Cascade Impactor (series 290) is used for this task.
 Plastic 'Mylar' substrates 37 mm in diameter are used as filters for all
six stages except the last one.

Approximately 5-6 hours before assembling the impactor I am spraying each
stage with Slipicone spray and let the stages to dry up (otherwise it
could happen that the filter weight after sampling is less than prior to
samping).

I would like to recommend this Slipicon spray, since I did not have any
problems with it (except for the couple of times when I was in a hurry
and the weight of the filter decseased significantly during sampling...)

I've got a green can on my desk now:

<Front>
SLIPICONE
Release Spray
Silicone Release agent and lubricant
<PICTURE>
For packaging and food processing equipment whenever sticking is a
problem.
* Contains silicone
* United States F.D.A./U.S.D.A. status
* -40oC to 199oC
* Provides moisture barrier
* Does not contain CFC's

NET 300 g

<Back>:

Manufactured by:
DOW CORNNG AUSRALIA PTY LTD
21 Tattersall Road
Blacktown  NSW  Australia 2148

SLIPICONE - is a registered trademark of DOW CORNING CORPORATION, USA

2155290-0590

If you have too much dust on the filter alpha self-absorbtion needs to be
considered.

If you require any additional information please contact me:

Nick Tsurikov
Radiation Safey Officer
RGC Mineral Sands Limited
P.O.Box 47