Fwd: John Cameron & radiation risks (is there ANY evidence at low(ish)

On 20 March 1992, I wrote John Cameron a letter, thanking him for a talk he
gave to radiology residents at the University of Florida, and also wrote
the following paragraph:

"One item that I'd like to "challenge" you on is the notion that we HAVE NO
DATA on harmful effects BELOW ABOUT 25 rad. Enclosed is a summary sheet
from a chapter on thyroid carcinogenesis which gives data on the Isrelis
children (with ringworm) who are reported to have received about 10 rad
thyroid dose. The observed incidence of thyroid cance was 29 cases, with 0
expected".

The citation was taken from the book "RADIATION CARCINOGENESIS" edited by
Upton/Albert/Burns/Shore and published by Elseiver.

I've subsequently raised this issue with John Cameron on several occasions
....... but curiously, he's never .... ever ..... responded.

In 1992, the National Radiological Protection Board (NRPB) published a
report entitled "First analysis of the National Registry for Radiation
Workers: Occupational exposure to ionizing radiation and mortality". The
final sentence of the abstract states: "In particular, the results of the
NRRW taken together with those from a combined study of nuclear workers in
the USA do not give any indication that the current ICRP risk estimates are
significantly in error given the statistical uncertainties associated with
these occupational studies".

I sent this to John Cameron (twice!) for comment/information ...... again
with no response.

Curious, eh?

Walter Huda PhD
Department of Radiology
SUNY Health Sciences Center at Syracuse
750 East Adams Street
Syracuse NY 13210

Phone: (315) 464 7035  FAX: (315) 464 5943
Email: hudaw@vax.cs.hscsyr.edu