Re[2]: X-ray Scanning For Theft Detection

     Franz et al,

     I don't know what Austria's regulations are, but I don't believe that
     they really strictly prohibit ANY personnel exposure other than
     medical. What about airline crews? People that manufacture smoke
     detectors? People working in industries where sources are used for
     gauging thickness of products or tank levels? People calibrating
     survey instruments? People working in sterilization facilities?
     etc...... Are all of these occupations that might expose a person to
     ionizing radiation really illegal in Austria?

     No, there is no specific regulation in the U.S. prohibiting any
     exposure to ionzing radiation other than for medical purposes, and I
     sure hope no such law is ever proposed, let alone adopted. There are
     many, many beneficial uses of ionizing radiation, other than medical,
     that may expose personnel to radiation, and I don't believe that any
     country should ban them outright.

     As for whether diamond miners should be x rayed, I'll leave that
     debate to others...

     Steven D. Rima, CHP
     Manager, Health Physics and Industrial Hygiene
     MACTEC-ERS, LLC
     steven.rima@doegjpo.com