Re: I-131 procedure bioassay requirement

Dear Radsafers,

The discussions on the need for bioassays when using I-131 capsules has been
restricted purely to the legal requirements under the various US legislation.

No one has mentioned whether they have ever detected a significant internal
contamination problem from the administration of I-131 capsules, from their
routine bioassays.

Bioassays after I-131 administration are not legally required in NSW,
Australia, and are not routinely performed. Does any one have data which
would suggest that we should be doing bioassays routinely?

Regards

Richard

Richard Smart PhD
Department of Nuclear Medicine