Re: No US Nuclear Power Program

I'm shocked to see no dialogue or "call to action" on the recent letter from
six senators to Pena at DOE critizing DOE for having "no program to further
the development of nuclear energy for the production of energy."  The
Senators note that this is the first time since forming the AEC forty years
ago the the US is without.

"This country needs a viable Nuclear Energy program - both for our energy
security and for our national security.  Recently, the President commissioned
his Committee of Advisors on Science and Technology, Energy Research and
Development Panel to study and report back on whether the US should have a
nuclear energy program and if so, what its goals should be...."  The letter
goes on to state the decline of ed. curriculum programs and R&D activity.
 "...we will only be assured of keeping a viable nuclear option in this
country if DOE proposes and implements Nuclear Energy research programs to
safeguard and support our position as a nuclear leader worldwide."

"As the Congress continues its consideration of de-regulation or
restructuring of the electric power industry, we must consider the
contribution of nuclear energy, as a safe, and reliable source of power.DOE
should formulate and submit a new nuclear energy research proposal to
Congress for fiscal 1999 which is responsive to these issues."

Pena's response..."We share your disappointment...We are now reassessing the
focus and direction of our nuclear energy research and development activity.
 During the next several weeks, Department staff, led by DR> TERRY LASH, ...
will hold discussions with our National Labortories, US universities and
industry to establish the basis of a new nuclear energy program....for fiscal
year 1999."

We need letters to DOE, official statements and thanks to Senators --Craig,
Murkowski, Kempthorne, Domenici, Kyl and Durbin.

Carol Worth
Carolworth@aol.com
703-742-0017
Fax.  703-742-0059