Re: Beta rule of thumb

Randy,

Mark is asking about a ROT, which, by nature incorportates a bunch of
assumptions, and he's also truncating the units (all good rad-techs speak a
shortened form of the incredibly cumbersome techno-jargon which abounds in
HP).  Apparently it's been too long a week - you're over-analyzing :)

Anyway....
Mark, my old rule o' thumb gives slightly different levels for the gamma.
But it's in the ballpark.  I get 2,000,000 dpm to one mrem/hr.  But what's
a million dpm among friends.  My beta dose rate conversion is a factor of
100 higher.  i.e. the same 2 million dpm gives 100 mrem/hr or conversely,
it only takes 20,000 dpm to yield 1 mrem/hr.

Anybody have numbers terribly different from this?

---------------------

_________________________________
>Subject: Rule of Thumb for BETA contamination
>Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at INTERNET
>Date:    10/2/97 8:46 AM
>

>The rule of thumb conversion for removable contamination has been 1 mrem
>gamma = 1 million dpm
>assuming Co-60 as the major isotope does anyone have a rule of thumb for
>1 mrem BETA ?
>
>I'll welcome any input

Keith Welch
Newport News VA