Re: Radio-Phobia

On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Theodore S Bohn wrote:

> PLUTONIUM - Ever since plutonium was branded, "The most toxic substance on
> earth," the fear of millions (especially the radio-phobic) is triggered at
> even the mention of plutonium for any technical application.  I understand
> that there are many substances that are much more toxic than plutonium.
> Has there ever been a non-technical, user friendly explanation to the
> public by a creditable nuclear professional putting the harmful properties
> of plutonium into perspective with the other harmful substances on earth
> that the public usually don't fear? Silence on this subject by nuclear
> professionals (us) will only continue to reinforce this label as being
> true!  I would like to see a treatise of this sort be the subject of a
> 20-20 or 60 Minutes program to reduce this fear if the public would believe
> it.

	--About 15 years ago, I made an effort on this, including an offer
to the TV networks to eat and inhale amounts of Plutonium that Ralph Nader
was claiming would be lethal. I got a letter from CBS asking for more
information and I sent them reprints of my papers on hazards from
plutonium toxicity. But I never heard more from them or from the other
networks.
	Plutonium toxicity was a much hotter topic then than now, and
Nader was deeply involved with the other side,so arranging something would
require a lot of expertise. On the other hand, I didn't try PBS at that
time, so maybe that is a new angle. I would be willing to renew my offer
if someone can arrange something.
	How about a program on hormesis in which some of us get radiation,
explaining that it is protective?