Re: Radio-Phobia

PLUTONIUM - Ever since plutonium was branded, "The most toxic substance on
earth," the fear of millions (especially the radio-phobic) is triggered at
even the mention of plutonium for any technical application.  I understand
that there are many substances that are much more toxic than plutonium.
Has there ever been a non-technical, user friendly explanation to the
public by a creditable nuclear professional putting the harmful properties
of plutonium into perspective with the other harmful substances on earth
that the public usually don't fear? Silence on this subject by nuclear
professionals (us) will only continue to reinforce this label as being
true!  I would like to see a treatise of this sort be the subject of a
20-20 or 60 Minutes program to reduce this fear if the public would believe
it.

jreese@smtpgate.ddrw.dla.mil on 10/01/97 08:55:37 AM

Please respond to radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu