re: Paper Planchets

Mr Cartwright
     While we do not use paper planchets on ourTennelec LB5100PW automatic
planchet counter, I do use a plastic snap-in version that we have custom
molded for our use by a local plastics molder. They are very light, firmly
held by the planchet carrier, easy to remove when desired, and much less
expensive than the stainless steel planchets provided thru Oxford/Tennelec.
The only change I made to accomodate our use of the plastic planchets was to
have fabricated a new calibration source(s) utilizing the plastic planchets
for a backing. This allows for the change in backscatter due to the new
material. Since we have these made for us, they are not commercialy
available (we own the mould). We did, at their request, supply some to
Tennelec for a university that required the weight savings, they stacked
their planchets so high that the floor above had a hole cut thru to
accomodate it. I could supply some to you to tryout. Perhaps they would fit
your application.

Tim Martinson
Health Physics Group
Kewaunee Nuclear Power Plant