Re[3 etc.]: contamination fo centrifuges

     Howdy All:

     With respect to the contaminated microfuge question:  Here at the
     University of Missouri-Columbia we have set up a procedure where the
     cents used for rad materials are labeled "caution radioactive
     materials" so that everyone knows, and is trained to treat, all items
     spun as contaminated when removed. The individual laboratories as a
     part of their internal radiation safety program are allowed leeway on
     removable contamination up to 20,000 dpm/100 sqcm. They establish what
     their action level is below the 20,000 dpm and maintain the removable
     contamination at that level or below, as a part of their ALARA
     program.
     In general we have noted that this action level is around 3-5,000 dpm.
     When they find it above that level, a wipe or two with a damp paper
     towel is sufficient to return it to the acceptable range. This has
     saved our personnel a lot (granted quite low exposure) of dose in
     trying to clean them up completely. Also the lab's equipment budgets
     have been reduced because they are not also cleaning the grease out of
     the bearings with cleaning agents. Believe me, they get loud and then
     they don't cent. any more!
     We have found that this concept was readily accepted, that the
     contamination remains controlled, and that the User's appreciate the
     reduction in their time required to maintain the equipment below the
     action levels that they "themselves" have set. This has seemed to get
     the User's and workers more actively involved in the program. Also
     this labeling and ALARA concept, appears to have withstood regulatory
     reviews.

     Remember it was Albert Einstein that said:
        "Everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler"

     Jamie Shotts,Mine Alone,
     EH&S Radiation Safety Office
     University of Missouri-Columbia
     Columbia, MO 65211