Re: Re[2]: Cassini and "60 Minutes"

Bill Kolb asks some very interesting, and very important questions. I
think the answer lies within each of us.  Just a few of my own
thoughts:

1. The government is the "people" .. We should, by majority, make the
decisions that our politicians are entrusted to uphold. WE should be
setting the priorities, we should be setting what is considered to be
safe for our communities and we should decide what our future should
be. The only area I digress from this is in issues that involve
National Security, and, what is ruled as constitutional law.

2. The people have to determine if the scientific gains are worth the
risks involved. In the case of the Cassini, there is much debate
about what is safe and what is not. I personally agree with the
Cassini mission, and do believe that the risks are minimal. BUT, I
also recognize that the same experts who are calling this a safe
mission today, are some of the same who called the tests in the 50s
as also being safe, and we're all reading about the true consequences
of those tests, and, the many coverups. SO, do we believe the
politicians and our government on Cassini? What do you think the
general public believes?

3. In the case that Bill raises, Ebola .. Saran .. etc. I'd say HELL
NO!!!! NO way Jose'!!!!

4. Challenger did blow up. So have other rockets, similar to the one
that will take the Cassini RTG up. Accidents do happen.. that's why
they are called accidents. To say that the odds are large, or small,
well, they're all statistical guesses. TMI, Chernobyl and many other
near misses have happened .. well before the WASH-1400 estimates..
Let's not be so naive to dismiss the possibility of accidents.

5. IF Cassini does blow up, we're putting our collective faith into
the government tests that say, the containment won't be breached.. I
hope so, because if there IS an accident, and there is a release, no
matter how insignificant .. the US nuclear program is done, dead,
finished, finito .. PERIOD!  Don't kid yourself that this will not be
the case... It will be time to pack it in...

In summary, I personally do not delegate ALL accountability to my
elected, and appointed politicans. To do so would be reckless .. The
government needs oversight, and we, the people, who are the rightful
government, need to be accountable to ensure that the government does
our bidding, except as I stated previously, NATIONAL SECURITY, which
we, the general public, are not privy to.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division