Implicit Assumptions in the Cassini and Other Threads

     Dear RADSAFERS,

     Implicit in these discussions are assumptions about the effects of low
     level radiation.

     Now, forgive me if I'm beating an old dead horse.  How does one
     respond to Gofman, Sternglass, Gould, Morgan and others?  I know that
     each of them have different rationales for their views, but they can't
     be dismissed as cranks.  For example, I find Gofman's credentials
     impressive.....I know that credentials are not a guarantee of
     credibility.  At the moment, I'm looking at a 1990 Gofamn publication,
     "Radiation Induced Cancer from Low-Dose Exposure". Just quoting august
     bodies as proof against their agruments doesn't seem scientific to me.

     From a radiobilogical standpoint, I've heard the Petkau effect being
     used as a basis for saying low dose/dose rate is more hazardous than
     we think.  I've seen the Petkau paper from Health Physics published in
     1972, but my radbio isn't good enough to say if his results can be
     extrapolated to real effects.

     In short, I'm asking are there any good references that rebut the
     claims of the *scientific* analysts that say that low level radiation
     is more harmful than the rest of us think?  Has there been a
     scientific and published debate concerning these issues? Or have these
     people a personal/emotional issue that have caused them to take their
     positions about the hazards of radiation?

     Jerry Falo
     gerald_falo@chppm-ccmail.apgea.army.mil

     All opinions expressed here are mine alone.......