Food Irradiation.....Low Level????

Regarding the AP News Release on Food Irradiation...

How can anyone refer to the levels of radiation requried to destroy
microorganisms as "low level"???
Pork is typically irradiated from a "low" of 0.3 kiloGray (30,000 rad) to a
"high" of 1.0 kiloGray (100,000 rad) to control trichinella spiralis.  I
would perfer replacing "low" and "high" with "minimum" and "maximum",
respectively.  Chicken is typically exposed to a dose of about 3 kiloGray
(300,000 rad).  Spices, seasonings, and some other substances are given a
dose of up to 30 kiloGray (3,000,000 rad).  Therefore, meat is typically
given a lower dose than other foodstuffs.  That does not infer that it is
exposed to low levels of radiation.

Per 10CFR20, a high radiation area (without being technical or preachy) is
100 mrem/hr (0.1 mSv/hr).  I don't know the rate at which food irradiators
operate; however, since they are into production, I would guess the dose is
delivered over a very short duration (seconds? minutes?). We, being the
radiation protection community, can talk with each other and refer to
levels of dose as "relatively" lower or higher without giving it a second
thought.  But, the public, media,
etc. are easily confused with our terminology.  Food irradiatiors do not
operate in the range of "low levels of radiation".  Just the extreme; a
posting to the entry of a food irradiation chamber (in the USA) would read
"GRAVE DANGER, VERY HIGH RADIATION AREA".  Grave is a key word, because if
you enter one of those chambers, with the source(s) exposed, an early grave
is where you would be headed.