Re: Studies of Chernobyl Clean-up Workers

Vladimir Vasiliev:
     Some useful approaches to the estimation of exposures in clean-up
workers have been published by Shantyr et al. from St. Petersburg and
by our group using a much smaller number of immigrants to Israel.  In
addition, a cooperative study of such workers now living in Baltic
countries has been ongoing and some of the results are available from
Prof. Timo Hakulinen of the Finnish Cancer Registry .  They will be cited
in the Monograph on Radiation and Health, to be published in December by
Environmental Health Perspectives.  The references to the first two
studies are Shantyr et al. "Estimating Radiation Exposures of Chernobyl
Clean-up workers: Risk Group Identification" pp.45-50 vol 3 Int. J. Occup.
Environ. Health, and Goldsmith et al."Radiation Exposures of Chenobyl
Cleanup workers Immigrating to Israel." pp 51-59, op. cit.  The two
studies were one of the results of a WHO consultation on the topic.
In our exploratory studies, we were able to look at 137 Cs body burden and
did not find it helpful .  Have you different findings ?
      John R. Goldsmith, M.D., M.P.H., Professor of Epidemiology
       gjohn@BGUMAIL.bgu.ac.il