Re[2]: pregnant x-ray tech

     I believe the author/RSO of this original post would be overstepping
     his or her authority in addressing "no radiation" the issue further
     with the pregnant x-ray technician.

     I assume that the x-ray technician and her physician have come to a
     mutual and informed decision that the technician and / or her fetus
     should receive no further radiation exposure for the duration of the
     technician's pregnancy.  If the tech is of majority age, the decision
     between her and her physician as to radiation exposure during
     pregnancy was mutual, and the tech hasn't raised any objections to the
     decision with the RSO, there is nothing that the RSO can or should do
     to try to encourage or discourage her to stay in assignments which
     require her to be occupationally or occasionally exposed to ionizing
     radiation.

     The matter is now a human resources (management, salary, or labor
     relations) and legal department issue and is a question of whether or
     not the tech can legitimately turn down assignments with potential
     exposure and are there positions available for her during her
     pregnancy which do not require "radiation" exposure.  At this point,
     the RSO should serve only as an advisor to the interested parties
     (tech, her union, and her employer) about the applicable statutory,
     recommended, and company policy requirements for fetal exposure.

     B. H. Rose, CM
     Radiation Protection Officer
     General Dynamics Land Systems Division
     roseb@gdls.com

     The opinions expressed above are solely my own and do not under any
     circumstance reflect those of my employer.