Fusion - Reply

Franz,

Like most activities, for fusion, the devil is in the details.  In principle, fusion
hazards might be quite small; e.g. if we could maintain a process such as:

     T + D= He + n + 17 MeV

in isolation, the radiological risk might be limited to tritium leakage and neutron
activation products.

Conversly, if we do what we know how to do (technically, not politically), viz.,
explode thermonuclear devices underground to capture the heat, then use the heat
to make steam and turn a turbine, it is easy to postulate scenarios where the
hazards could be substantial.

Until we know what actually will be done in a fusion power plant, risk assessment
can be little more than speculation.  It is a good bet, however, that the risks will
never be small enough to placate the critics.

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov