Type A Certified Drums

                           49 CFR 173.415(a)

DOT Specification  7A Type  A general  packaging.   Each  offeror  of  a
Specification 7A  package must  maintain on  file for  at least one year
after the latest shipment, and shall provide to DOT on request, complete
documentation of tests and an engineering evaluation or comparative data
showing that  the construction  methods, packaging design, and materials
of construction comply with that specification.  Use of Specification 7A
packaging designed  in accordance  with the  requirements of  178.350 of
this subchapter in effect on June 30, 1983 is not authorized after April
1, 1997.

Roy A. Parker, Ph.D.
Radiation Physics Consultant to
Federal Express Corporation
E-Mail: 70472.711@compuserve.com
Tel: 504-924-1473
Fax: 504-924-4269
-------------( Forwarded computer archived letter follows )-------------
    16-Oct-97 17:41 CDT
Sb: Re: Type A Certified Drums
Fm: Tom Fox > INTERNET:tfox@ucsd.edu

Hi Roy

Would you be kind enough to reference the document that you use to draw the
conclusion below.  I have no doubt that it is true, but this has been a
touchy issue with some of my associates in the past, and referencing the
issue would be an immense help in clarifying things should the issue arise
in the future.

Thanks

T.Fox
UCSD EH&S