Fwd: fluoroscan measurements

---------------------
Forwarded message:
From:	rgabrielpike@juno.com (Robert R Pik)
To:	ccja@aol.com
CC:	mao0303@hub.doh.wa.gov
Date: 97-10-14 08:27:11 EDT

Chris,
  I have measured the fluoroscan scatter rates and found the rates to be
similar.  I also performed "in-beam" measurements and found 2-5 mr/second
exposure to anything in the beam (e.g. dr's hands), depending on how
close to the tube the extremity was located.  My concern to is for the
physician's exposure although the patient's exposure is likely to be much
higher than it would be using a film screen combination.   Typical foot
exposure using a 100 speed detail rare earth system would be around
20mrem per view.  That could be reached in only 10 seconds of viewing
time with the fluoroscan or similar modality.  Using the image capture
option should be emphasized to the practitioner.
Bob Pike, Dept of Health, State of Washington