Type A Certified Drums

John,

You are correct about the WHC "Handford" Rust Lab report.

The last  time that I reviewed the FBF Nuclear documentation neither was
it sufficient  as a  "stand alone"  Type A  documentation in my opinion.
The shipper  would still be responsible for a large number of items just
as with  the "Hanford"  report.  The best example being to show that the
surface radiation  levels would not increase for their package more than
20%.

Roy A. Parker, Ph.D.
E-Mail: 70472.711@compuserve.com
Tel: 504-924-1473
Fax: 504-924-4269

-------------( Forwarded computer archived letter follows )-------------
    17-Oct-97 08:19 CDT
Sb: RE: Type A Certified Drums
Fm: INTERNET:radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu

The DOT looks for documentation beyond the "Mound Report" and the "Hanford
Report" that supports certification that the container used is indeed a Type
A.  Do remember that drums are no longer identified as 17H and 17C, so any
certifications done using these containers may not be valid.  Also beware of
weight and content limitations.

To be on the safe side, purchase a new 7A from a company that specializes in
it such as FBF Nuclear in Knoxville.(primarily drums)  They provide a nice
packet of information to support the 7A certification.  Additional supporting
documentation is also available from Bill Cromwell.

John McCormick
423-376-0053