Re: 82.7 rem extremity exposure

        RADSAFERS...

        Bob and Sandy's comments bring to mind...

        I'm sure that many of you remember Stanley Watras - the field
engineer who kept tripping portal alarms at the Limerick nuclear plant
(Pennsylvania) in (I think) 1984. They only had a portal monitor for workers
"leaving" the plant (although there was [to anyone's knowledge] NO
radioactive material anywhere in the plant at that time - it was still under
construction!).  Stanley himself figured out that the mystery contamination
was from outside the plant (the radon [and progeny] in his house). I seem to
remember that something like 48% of the Pennsylvania homes surveyed in his
area (on the Reading Prong - a 2 million-year old granite formation
containing uranium stretches from Reading to Easton in Pennsylvania - into
New Jersey and the tip of New York) had amounts of radon greater than the
EPA's action level.

        Hey, one of my thesis' was on Radon - at least I remembered this
much... I'll hunker down and duck now in case my gray cells have hiccuped
and I've gotten some facts wrong...

        Joel

..