Re: Compaction Discs

We have been using a 3 disc anti-springback device from a manufacturer in
Minnesota, the only name i have is Wilson Farms. Don't try to to get him during
planting season. It utilizes a setup with a "guide" assembly that entails a
lower and upper holder with 4 pieces of about 36" allthread. When the discs are
pushed down on out 60,000# compactor the tabs "ride" down each piece of
allthread and when pressure is released, theoretically the disc stays in place.
Most of the time the disc will come back up, but there definitely is an
advantage with using them over not. They do cost $125/unit which includes the 3
discs. It also would behoove you to check with someone like Frham safety out of
Nashville, Tenn who can get a new different design.

Steve Eichenberger
Hp Supervisor
San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station
email eichenss@sce.songs.com

Happy Friday, Radsaders!

Do any of you know where I might be able to find some discs that would
grip the inside of 55 gallon drums to hold down compacted radwaste? I
have about fifty 55 gallon drums containing the turnings and borings
from machining magnesium-thorium metal, and it is like steel wool. When
you try to compact it it springs right back. And one drum only holds
about 15 lbs of the stuff! Can you say $2500/drum for disposal costs
boys and girls? I knew you could. I need volume reduction! If I could
find something that would hold down the compacted waste, I could save
some substantial cash. Supercompaction is one solution, but I'd like to
try this first.

Please contact me directly. Thank you in advance!

Donald P. Mercado
Radiation Safety Officer
Lockheed Martin Missiles & Space
O/47-20, B/101