Re: Implicit Assumptions in the Cassini and Other Threads

all:
The recent national geographic magazine's article on ageing devotes 3/4 of
the article to the various ways modern medicine, mostly by hormonal treatments,
seeks to rekindle the fires of youth and hence lengthen life span for sedentary
senior citizens. the remainder of the article discusses the recent advances made
by senior citizens using simple exercises and weight training to reinvigorate
the body. and, the body responds positively to the stress (ie, stimulus);
without any of the negative side effects of the hormonal treatments. the
article states that moderate exercise for senior citizens (with positive
results in as little as six weeks) can offset the effects of ageing that the
musculo/skeletal system experiences when sedentary. likewise the article
shows through summaries of scientific studies of rats kept in complex
variable maze cages vs rats in nonchanging box cages that the brain, like
the musculo/skeletal system, must also be stimulated to offset the negative
effects of nonuse (ie. ageing). however, the article did not mention the
obvious negative effects of tv viewing; which may play a significant role in
the ageing equation.

which leads me to the incredible realization that, by working for doe at the
ol' lazy h ranch, we are actually getting stupider by not using our brains
as we should be doing; especially considering the vast amount of
knowledge/education/training/experience that we all have...rfb