Radiation Exposure from Smoking

From: Paul E Ruhter@INEL on 11/06/97 07:12 AM

To:   radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
cc:
Subject:  Radiation Exposure from Smoking

John Horan, who is a Past-president of the HPS and currently retired, is
serving as a member of the Citizen's Advisory Committee assisting the CDC's
INEEL Health Effects Subcommittee. He asked me to post this question.
Please return any responses to me and I will get them to him.

He is interested in getting some information about the radiation exposure
attributable to smoking.  ICRP 93 indicated the problem was too hard, too
tough.  NCRP 45, dealing with natural background exposures some 20 years
ago, suggested about 10 rem/year for a heavy smoker (2 packs/day), but went
ahead and indicated that smoking was responsible for only 40% of the Pb-210
in the body.  Are there any more recent or accurate evaluations of this
pathway?  Many thanks in advance for your help!!!!!

The usual reminder that I alone am responsible for the contents of my
        messages!

        Paul E. Ruhter   CHP
        Supervisor, Radiation Dosimetry & Records
        Lockheed Martin Idaho Technologies Company
        Idaho National Engineering & Environmental Laboratory (INEEL)
        e-mail:   ruh@inel.gov