Re: Rocketdyne Worker study

At 02:34 AM 11/6/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Otto:
>    Can you not even recall the name of this speaker?  Did he or she cover
>quite well the similar problems of McMahon's work which confirmed Alice
>Stewart's findings ?  John Goldsmith. gjohn@bgumail.bgu.ac.il
>
>On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Otto G. Raabe wrote:
>
>> November 5, 1997
>> Davis, CA
>>
>> To answer Marv Goldmans's question about the critique of Alice Stewart's
>> old work on prenatal irradiation, I can only say that one of the speakers
>> at the NCRP annual meeting in April covered this quite well. I presume we
>> will find the critique in the proceedings of that meeting.
>>
>> Otto
>> 		*****************************************************
>> 		Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
>>                 [President, Health Physics Society, 1997-1998]
>> 		Institute of Toxicology & Environmental Health (ITEH)
>> 		     (Street address: Old Davis Road)
>> 		University of California, Davis, CA 95616
>> 		Phone: 530-752-7754     FAX: 530-758-6140
>> 		E-Mail: ograabe@ucdavis.edu
>> 		******************************************************

There is one refutation of the work of Stewart, Kneale, and Mancuso that I
know of.  It is a statistical and epidemiological shootout between these
three and---get this---the United States General Accounting Office.  This
Report to the Congress was published January 2, 1981.  It is entitled,
"Problems in Assassing the Cancer Risks of Low Level Ionizing Radiation
Exposure".  It is published in two volumes, and bears the identification
number EMD-81-1.  Appendix XVI of volume 2 has the above-referenced discussion.

This report overall was amazingly good.  For a GAO report it is astounding.
There are other sections that deal with epidemiological pitfalls that affect
the credibility of Stewart's prenatal irradiation studies.

The report was brought to the attention of the Society of Nuclear Medicine
on Feb. 2, 1981, by Henry Ernstthal, its then Executive Director.

For free copies of this report up to five, the USGAO phone number listed is
(202)275-6241.  I do not know whether this is current, and I rather doubt
that it is still available, although it must be collecting dust in some
libraries.  Volumes 1 and 2 together are about 2 inches thick.

Ciao, Carol   csmarcus@ucla.edu   (310)222-2845>