Re: Rocketdyne Worker study

John Goldsmith states that McMahon's study on childhood cancer
"confirmed" the Alice Stewart's Oxford Study findings.  I disagree.
McMahon's findings simply "agreed" with Stewart's findings.  What about
the studies that found no correlation?  They can't be dismissed.  The
retrospective studies by Stewart and McMahon simply showed that
children who developed cancer were more likely to be x-rayed in
utero than controls.  Totter  and MacPherson contend that the
physician's decision to perform an x-ray was predominantly medically
indicated, and not a random process.

Tom Mohaupt, MS, CHP
Radiation Safety Officer
Wright State University
tmohaupt@wright.edu

> Date:          Thu, 06 Nov 1997 02:34:58 -0600 (CST)
> From:          John Goldsmith <gjohn@bgumail.bgu.ac.il>
> Subject:       Re: Rocketdyne Worker study
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>

> Otto:
>     Can you not even recall the name of this speaker?  Did he or she cover
> quite well the similar problems of McMahon's work which confirmed Alice
> Stewart's findings ?  John Goldsmith. gjohn@bgumail.bgu.ac.il
>
> On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Otto G. Raabe wrote:
>
> > November 5, 1997
> > Davis, CA
> >
> > To answer Marv Goldmans's question about the critique of Alice Stewart's
> > old work on prenatal irradiation, I can only say that one of the speakers
> > at the NCRP annual meeting in April covered this quite well. I presume we
> > will find the critique in the proceedings of that meeting.
> >
> > Otto
> > 		*****************************************************
> > 		Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
> >                 [President, Health Physics Society, 1997-1998]
> > 		Institute of Toxicology & Environmental Health (ITEH)
> > 		     (Street address: Old Davis Road)
> > 		University of California, Davis, CA 95616
> > 		Phone: 530-752-7754     FAX: 530-758-6140
> > 		E-Mail: ograabe@ucdavis.edu

Tom Mohaupt, MS, CHP
Wright State University
Voice:  (937) 775-2169