Re: Chi-Square Test and Counting Statistics

The comment was made that with a reasonably large number of counts, the
Poisson distribution approximates a normal distribution.  I'm not sure
that this true.  In the reference, Mathematical Statistics with
Applications, Wackerly, Mendenhall and Scheaffer, fifth edition, it states
that a binomial distribution with large "counts" approximates a Poisson
distribution.  Given this I believe that the chi-squared test does
actually represent a Poisson.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-
booned@ucs.orst.edu                  x
Darren M. Boone                      x