Re: Radioactive gems circulating in Asia?

The recent media interest in irradiated gems calls to mind a similar concern
in the 1960's and 70's over radioactive gold.  (see Richard A Leone, "Contact
Dermatitis Caused by a Radioactive Gold Ring", Journal of the American Medical
Association, Vol. 206, No. 9, Nov. 25, 1968, Richard F. Boggs, et. al.,
"Radiological Health Aspects of Spent Radon Seeds", Radiological Health Data
and Reports, Vol. 10, No. 5, May 1969 and "Skin Lesions and Radioactivity in
Jewelry", FDA Drug Bulletin, Vol. 11, No. 1, March, 1981)  Gold seeds filled
with Rn-222 were used as implants for cancer therapy.  Due to the 3.8 day half
life of the radon, the shelf life of these seeds was short.  This left
suppliers with surplus seeds.  Apparently, these unused, but expended seeds
were then sold to jewelers who melted down the gold for reuse.  Unfortunately,
a typical 1 mCi filling for a gold seed at the time of implanatation left a
residual Pb-210 activity of 0.5 uCi.  In fact, the seeds often had several
times this activity at the time of manufacture, resulting in even higher
residual levels.  This gold was generally used in jewelry repairs, such as
ring enlargements.  The problem was centered in the Buffalo, NY area.  I have
never personally seen one of these, although we received media inquiries about
this and did some investigation.  I'd be interested in hearing from anyone
with first hand experience in this; especially as to whether these cases are
still being seen.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@detroitedison.com