Von: Pickett, Bruce D <Bruce.Pickett@PSS.Boeing.com>
An: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Betreff: Radioactive gems circulating in Asia?
Datum: Dienstag, 11. November 1997 17:25

The following news story was on the radio and in the paper this morning.
I got the text from:
http://www.seattletimes.com/extra/browse/html97/gems_111197.html

These gems obviously do not only circulate in Asia, but I remember that Mr.
Rozenthal, whom I had the pleasure to meet recently in Vienna, told me that
very similar problems exist(ed) in South America. I do not remember exactly
what kind of gem it was, which used to be irradiated to increase the value,
but since he is a RADSAFE subscriber I hope he reads these comments and can
tell us more.

The fact, that gem stones have been irradiated need not be associated with
real risks, but of course it is fraud. One can also remember the ALARA
principle.

Franz