Re: (no subject)

As a consultant I have fluoroed many many aprons and shields for clients.

First off I can say that there is NO WAY you can assess the integrity of
these items by look or feel!  I have seen horrible looking aprons that
check out just fine --- and perfect looking ones with BIG problems!

As for the personnel exposure - it is minimal!  First off the xrays are
going through the apron and are therefore heavily attenuated and not as
scattered as through a patient.  Second the person doing the fluoro should
be wearing an apron.  This is like being double aproned!  I don't think eye
protection is warranted.

With a flat full floating table top you would be amazed as to how fast you
can scan an apron and not miss anything.  With a cradled top or motor drive
II - it is painfully slow!

One problem however ..... One of my clients was once told that to do it
themselves they must actually radiograph the shields so as to have the
photographic PROOF of the shield integrity.  OR they must have the signed
report of a consultant - someone outside the facility.  Apparently JCAH
would not take the signed report of in-house staff.  This was a few years
ago and I would hope it is an outlier interpretation or has changed.

BTW - with some calibration and a good auto brightness fluoro unit - you
can also verify the lead equivalence while scanning!  Since they are either
RIGHT ON or WAY WAY off - the "calibration" is not too critical.

Ted de Castro
tdc@ehssun.lbl.gov
University of California Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
Bldg 90 Rm 0026B
Berkeley, CA 94720
(510) 486-5256
(510) 486-6939 - FAX