Re: "Nuclear B" disk

At 11:00 11/12/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Ralph,
>
>The only thing I have seen similar to what you describe were small
>radium sources.  The ones I saw were medium gray, between a nickel
>and a quarter in diameter and perhaps 3/16" thick.  If memory serves,
>and it sometimes mutates, I think these sources usually were associated
>with a gray colored survey instrument that had a compartment to store
>the source.  I don't remember much more about the brand, etc, but
>maybe this will help jog someone else's memory.  Good luck.
>
>Dale

I have one as well.  It's from a Nuclear-Chicago Model 2650 hand held GM
meter.  The source sits in the back of the handle in a compartment with
the ear piece for the unit.  My meter is dead, but the check source is still
used for that purpose.  My source simply says 'nuclear' with 1.6 stamped on
that side, and 20.5 on the other.  It's about 5/8" thick so I figure its
beta-gamma on the "20.5" side and gamma on the "1.6" side.  The oldest date
on
the meter is only 1976, but based in the serial number, it's got to be older.
It still reads about the same on my other GM tube.  I would love to know
what's inside, it may pose a license issue if its out of the ordinary.
Thanks to he/she who identifies the isotope(s)!

Scott Kniffin
Engineer, RSO, CHO
Unisys Corp.
Lanham, MD

The opinions stated here are mine, all mine.  You can't have them.  So there.