Re: Radioactive gems circulating in Asia?

Schoenhofer
Habichergasse 31/7
A-1160 Wien
AUSTRIA
Tel./Fax: +43-1-4955308
Mobiltel.: +43-664-3380333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

> And then there were those who, some 3 decades ago, used to massively
> irradiate Brazilian quartz in Co-60 sources to create ersatz cerulean; (
> non-radioactive gems in that case, but fraud nontheless)
> mgoldman@ucdavis.edu

Marvin,

Yes, I remember very well, when I worked in summer 1968 at the Institute
for Radiation Chemistry in Mühlheim/Ruhr, Germany, that I could not conduct
experiments for some time, because the Co-60 source was needed for
irradiation of quartz. Being a student then I did not know much of the
background, only that the quartz was afterwards brown, as was any glass
exposed to high doses.

Franz