Re: Radioactive gems circulating in Asia?

Michael Williamson wrote:

> I have seen radioactive gems in Australia.

If such gems were found in the United States, I expect the US Nuclear
Regulatory Commission would be concerned.  The NRC (then AEC) prohibited
the use of depleted uranium in shirt cuff links many years ago.  The AEC
said that there was no benefit from the use of radioactive material in
jewelry that would be greater than the risk from the radiation to the
wearer.  At the time I thought it was a little overboard of the AEC to
make such a prohibition.  I still think so.  Has anyone estimated the
dose to a wearer of the irradiated gems that are in Asia?  Al Tschaeche
antatnsu@pacbell.net