Re: Radioactive gems circulating in Asia?

Ralph A. Fobair wrote:

> I do consulting for a client that irradiates white Topaz.  Last week my
> client received an email from a supplier in Hong Kong who has warned us of
> radioactive cat's eye in the past. I also have the photos available as a
> JPG file if anyone is interested.  You can email me directly at
> novarso@lisco.com

snip

> Preliminary testing, using equipment provided by Doug Parsons of Beta
> Color Ltd., verified the stone was indeed highly radioactive and quite
> dangerous. I shudder when I think of the time I carried it around in my
> pocket. The 3.5 carat sample revealed a radioactivity level of  52
> nCi/g.  This is significantly higher than the legal release levels set by
> the
> relevant authorities in the USA (1.0 nCi/g)

Does anyone know where in the regulations of the USA this value of 1
nCi/g comes from?

 the UK (2.7 nCi/g) and Asia
> (2.0
> nCi/g).

snip

> Unfortunately, radioactivity can not be seen, felt, heard, tasted or
> smelled, but it can be extremely dangerous. Anyone subjected to close
> contact
> with these gemstones runs a high risk of developing serious health
> problems,
> with cancer at the top of the list.

Unless someone has done a dose calculation, such a statement is probably
alarmist and not accurate.  Hopefully, someone will do the calculation
and then we can see if the statement has any veracity.

If you suspect you may have treated
> cat's-eyes in your inventory, the only safe and sane thing to do is to
> have them checked in a lab equipped with a Geiger counter. If they are
> found
> to be radioactive, they must be stored in a proper storage container until
> they reach levels safe and legal for release.

Not a bad suggestion.
Al Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell.net