Re: Am-241 smoke detectors

Art,

NUREG/CR-1156, "Environmental Assessment of Ionization Chamber
Smoke Detectors Containing Am-241,"  was issued in 1979.  It's packed
with information and may be useful to you if still available.  We
also have on file "The Facts Concerning Ionization Smoke Detectors"
from the Ionization Smoke Detector Information Bureau.  I'm not sure
of its issue date, though our copy arrived in 1983.  It's fairly
short and I'd be willing to fax you a copy if you're interested.  For
other interested folks, the Information Bureau address at the time
the booklet was published was 2101 L Street, N.W. Washington, D.C.
20037, and its phone number was 202-457-8400.

Sue Dupre
Sue M. Dupre, Health Physicist

Office of Environmental Health and Safety
Chemical Sciences Building/Forrestal Campus
Princeton University
Princeton, NJ  08544-0710

E-mail: dupre@princeton.edu
Phone:  (609) 258-6252