From: Lester.Slaback@nist.gov
To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Subject: DoT training re: limited quant.

49CFR requires drivers of vehicles transporting hazardous
materials to have certain training and to carry documentation of that.  Is
anyone aware of a waiver/exception to that for
the transport of limited quantity packages?

Clearly if a research sample is less than 2 nCi/g the question  is moot.
The sample is not hazardous material.

But we (and I suspect others) have cases where the amount of
activity is truly miniscule, but >2 nCi/g, where the researcher would like
to transport the object via personal vehicle back to their parent
organization. [Note: Please don't repeat the previous discussion on
insurance risk.  That has been covered.] Is the training requirement
applicable?
My reading is YES, but one is always hopeful for a more rational
interpretation.

--
the above are the personal musing of the author,
and do not represent any past, current, or future