Re: DOT training re: limited quant.

The 49 CFR requires general and specific training for any part of the
regulation. 173.400 section refers to radioactive shipments. Training is
one part that is required for even Radioactive Material-excepted packages.
General knowledge is required to know if the amount is regulated or not. A
driver for excepted package amounts should have the general training but
does not require a special drivers licence. Only placarded amounts (LSA/SCO
or Yellow III) requires a hazmat drivers licence. The next area is if you
have a Radioactive Material-excepted package amount, does the shipment meet
any other hazard class in the 49 CFR? The other hazard class will become
the primary hazard. Also, if the sample is liquid, the proper amount of
absorbent material must be used. There are still some more requirements to
meet like the exemption statement, package requirements of 173.410 and
radioactive markings to be meet.
As you can see, even with excepted package amounts of radioactive material,
you must know the regs to use the regs.

Alan R. Marchand
Las Vegas, NV
radarm@accessnv.com