Re: Accidents and Dose Limits

Will,

Your legal people are correct  --- if you receive a dose greater than
the legal limit, you have exceeded the limit and can expect to be cited.

However, your car analogy deals with a whole different area of the
regulations ... design, siting criteria, and safety classification of
components.  Let me put it in perspective with respect to DOE
regulation.

When a contractor proposes to build a facility (a "car") we require that
he meet certain criteria called Risk Evaluation Guidelines.  The REGs is
essentially a risk table with consequences (dose) on the y-axis and
annual probability (of the accident) on the x-axis.  For lower
probability accidents, then we (DOE) accept higher consequences .. and
so forth.  Now, the contractor must design his facility such that
postulated accidents will not produce consequences (dose) to the public
etc. that will be greater than the REG values.

At DOE sites, these REG values for the public typically range around 25
rem/event for a probability of 10E-6/yr (extremely unlikely) type of
accident.  For workers, the acceptable accident dose limit ranges from
100 to 25 Rem per event for accidents in the 10E-6/yr range.

These are not "dose limits" in the sense that you and I normally think,
but they are accident dose limits.  The NRC doesn't have exactly the
same scheme of REGs, the concept of designing plants to <25 rem accident
dose limits is in 10 CFR 100.10 siting criteria.

For NRC's spent fuel storage facilities, the NRC's accident dose limit
for the public is 5 Rem at 100 meters for design purposes;  it is in 10
CFR 72.106(b).

A really good discussion of the DOE accident dose limits, how they were
derived, etc. can be found in a two volume set of reports dated June 23,
1994.  (EH-12-94-01 "Method for Assessment of Worker Safety under
Radiological Accident Conditions at Department of Energy Facilities"
Vols. I and II)  Just how there criteria are applied in selection of
safty class equipment can be found in DOE Order 5480.22 and DOE Order
5480.23 and the new DOE Standard DOE-STD-3009-94.  These later standards
are on the internet.

Hope this helps.

Rey Bocanegra
Sr. Technical Advisor on Rad Protection
DOE, Hanford Site
reynaldo_rey_bocanegra@rl.gov

>From server@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu Fri Nov 21 16:24:18 1997
>Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 18:26:12 -0600 (CST)
>Sender: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
>From: William McCabe <WMCCABE@tnrcc.state.tx.us>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
>Subject: Accidents and Dose Limits
>
>I am having a discussion with our legel staff regarding accidents and
>dose limits.  Our legal people are telling me that the regulatory dose
>limits (100 mrem/yr as well as the 25 mrem whole body, 75 mrem thyroid,
>and 25 mrem other organ to any member of the public) and effluent
>concentration limits (i.e. 10CFR20, App B) and other such limits, as
>applicable, apply.  Their opinion is based on how they are reading our
>state equivalent of 10CFR (essentially the same as 10 CFR).   (It seems
>me that this is like saying it is agtainst the law to receive anything
more
>than minor cuts and bruises ANY traffic accident.)
>
>It has always been my understanding that you cannot apply a regulatory
>dose limit or effluent concentration limit to a radiological  accident.
All you