Lantern Mantles -Reply

The light output is a function of the rate of gas expansion/density and the cerium
content of the mantle material.  Thorium is used as a high heat resistant binder for
the mantle cloth.

H. Dean Chaney, CHP, USNRC,RIV/WCFO-MB
hdc@nrc.gov

Disclaimer: The statements contained in the above matter
reflect my personnel thoughts and not those of
the US NRC or the US Government - to the greatest
extent that I can remove myself from them without
resorting to illegial drugs or religious mummery.

Long live Hari Seldon and the Foundation.....